Working In Greener Buildingsclose
Protecting the environment is one of the most important things we can do as a company. We make it a cornerstone of our business – from the actions we take to reduce the environmental impact of our products to the environmentally sensitive practices we employ to build, distribute and sell them. These efforts are vital to reducing our environmental footprint, which is why we continue to work hard to meet rigorous LEED standards throughout our company – from office buildings to parts distribution centers to research facilities.
LEED, or Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, is a green building certification system developed by the U.S. Green Building Council. LEED recognizes projects that implement strategies for better environmental and health performance. Some aspects of these standards include energy consumption, water consumption and the incorporation of low-impact building materials. Currently, 11 of Toyota’s North American facilities and 18 of our dealerships have achieved LEED certification, and we’re working to increase that number all the time.
In recognition of Toyota’s efforts, the International Facility Management Association (IFMA) presented the Corporate Real Estate and Facilities Department of our Sales and Logistics division with the 2010 Sheila Sheridan Award for Sustainable Design and Energy Efficient Products.
Today, our LEED-certified North American facilities include:
- Toyota Phoenix Training Center
- Toyota Motor Sales’ South Campus in Torrance, California
- Toyota Inland Empire Training Center in Rancho Cucamonga, California
- Lexus Florida Training Center in Miramar
- North American Product Support Center in Georgetown, Kentucky
- Toyota Motor North America’s offices in New York City and Washington, DC
- Toyota Racing Development facilities in Salisbury, North Carolina
- Portland Vehicle Distribution Center in Oregon
- Toyota Technical Center in York Township, Michigan
- Kansas City Regional Technical Training Center
To learn more about all of Toyota's environmental initiatives, take a look at our annual Environmental Report